Today is the day that I retire the notion that ‘I’m not ready to XYZ.’
So long are the days of waiting until things are ‘picture-perfect’ or ‘if I lose 5lbs, then I’ll post.’ It’s sad to say, but I have repeatedly over the years told myself that I would only take pictures or make videos if I weighed a certain weight. But why? It’s illogical. Especially cause the number on the scale I choose is so arbitrary.I’ve lost track of how many projects I have put on the back burner for whatever reason. In the end, they all halted because of a silly excuse. One of my favorite things about social media and today’s technology is that no one has to give you the GREENLIGHT to create and share something besides YOURSELF.
In Hollywood, you need the stamp of approval from so many people. But considering everything else going in the world right now, what am I waiting for? Sure a big budget, grant, or commission would be nice, but I didn’t start creating for that reason. I didn’t start my ‘fitness Instagram’ or my ‘travel blog’ for that reason. I started them because I wanted to share my story, to keep myself accountable, and to help share other peoples’ adventures.
Today, I am committing to 90 days of SELF LOVE & CREATING.
I was inspired to start this after watching Cassey (aka Blogilates) do this about a year ago.
2020 has been a rough year for all of us. There have been some high moments, but damn, have the lows been low! I could start this August 1st, or on some other specific, significant day, but I decided I’m just gonna start today.
There are two sides to my 90-day challenge, PHYSICALLY and CREATIVELY.
PHYSICALLY breaks down into these three parts:
CREATIVELY breaks down into these five main parts:
Now I realize that this is a lot of different topics to take on at one time. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how crazy you think I am, I’m used to it. As a whole, I feel like this challenge has been building for the last few months. Well definitely since the beginning of Quarantine.
I’ll break down my goals regarding PHYSICALLY first:
This is all about my daily movement. At the beginning of quarantine, I really didn’t leave my house and I was unemployed so a downward spiral definitely struck. My hair started to thin and my motivation to do anything was minimal. It took me about two months to finally feel like I had found a groove.
Each week I’ll be doing a combination of BBG, Running, Walking, Yoga, and Planking:
- BBG (SWEAT created by Kayla Itsines)
- I have been doing BBG on and off for almost 5 years! Insane right? Why? Because I love it. It’s easy yet effective. I’ll be restarting BBG, beginning with BBG Beginner for 8 weeks of this challenge at which point I will move on to BBG 1.0. While I have been doing this program for years, I’ve decided to restart so that I know my base in regards to HIIT workouts is strong.
- Oh running… It’s been a while. I’d like to put all the blame on my two bum knees that never really recovered post my first marathon… but dedication has also been lacking. Which is why I’m going back to the basics. With the Couch to 10K app which trains you over the course of 14 weeks to go from running 60 seconds to running 60 mins. If you’ve never been much of a runner or hate running but sorta want to give it a shot, I swear this app works. And that’s coming from the girl who would play sick instead of running a mile in grade school because she hated running so much. Now I won’t complete the 14 weeks over these next 90 days, but I’ll be real close and will complete it post this challenge. I PROMISE!
- During April and May, due to the ‘safer-at-home’ orders in Los Angeles, I only left the house for my daily walk. I didn’t realize how significant my walk was until I stopped doing it for a few weeks in June. Oh man, it’s a game-changer. My goal is walk at least 3 days a week (that’s what I’ve been doing with my momma the last few weeks) on the days when I’m not running. Just to make sure I get some steps in!
- I have never been a yogi. I’ve tried a few times, but, I never make it past day 5 of a program or even consistently do it more than 5 days. However, I can’t deny the fact that it’s good for you. So my plan is to commit 10 minutes a day to Yoga. That’s all. Either from YouTube or an app. I’m not going to be strict about where I do it. Just as long as I do it for a minimum of 10 minutes because I know that I need it… This will be my first attempt of trying to do yoga for more than a week… so we’ll see 🙂
- This is my silly task, but I want to make sure I build my core, so it works! Also, planking strengthens your spine, your abdominal muscles, and naturally helps you develop better posture, which may not be the best considering how many shows I’ve binged over the last 4 months on Netflix.
- This should be obvious… but I totally avoid doing it before and after a workout, so my goal is to give myself 10 minutes to stretch as well. That’s probably not enough as I should considering how much I am working out, but baby steps!
OVERALL WEEKLY ACTIVE BREAKDOWN:
- BBG workout 3 times per week (28 minutes each)
- C210K run 3 times per week
- Yoga (10 minutes daily)
- Planking (1 minute daily)
- Walk – at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes (currently with my momma)
- Stretching (daily)
NUTRITION: What will I eat?
Here’s what I know:
- I have many food intolerances:
- Gluten makes me feel sick
- Dairy & milk protein make me break out and cause stomach issues
- Xanthan Gum causes flu-like symptoms, it’s a common ingredient in Gluten & Dairy Free Items
- Eggs cause delayed stomach issues
- Almonds also cause acne and cysts within 3 days
- I’m aiming to consume 30 different plants a week
- I like spicy foods, but have to be smart with acid reflux
- I love to snack
- 8 hours of sleep are needed, any less and I want much more
- Stress leads to mindless eating and possible binging
- 80 oz of water is a good consumption goal
MY TYPICAL GROCERY ITEMS:
- Protein: Steak, Hamburger, Fish, Tofu, Collagen, Lentil, Chickpea, Nutritional Yeast, Ripple Milk, Oatmeal
- Veggies: Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Corn, Cucumber, Garlic, Green Beans, Jalapeno Pepper, Peas, Shallots, Yukon Potatoes, Zucchini, Carrots, Celery, Mushroom, Red Onion, Green Onion, Sweet Potatoes, Asparagus, Spinach, Cauliflower, Ginger
- Fruit: Banana, Blueberries, Watermelon, Pears, Apples, Blackberries, Cantaloupe, Grapes, Cherries, Honeydew Melon, Peaches, Plum, Pineapple, Strawberries, Lime, Lemon, Orange, Mango, Avocado
- Dried Fruit: Apricots, Mango
- Fruit Drink: Coconut Water
- Nuts: Peanuts, Walnuts, Cashews, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Chia Seeds
- Dairy Alternatives: Cashewmilk Yogurt
- Dippings: Pico de gallo, Mango Salsa, Hummus
- Oils: Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Olive Oil
The main focus of the Challenge isn’t to lose weight, however, I know I haven’t been taken the best care of my body (aka Chips became their own food group for me between March – June) and so I’m taking the measurement to keep track of how my body is reacting. I thrive when my body feels strong and it’s treated like the temple that all our bodies are. We only get one body and maybe it’s the fact that I’ve been watching ‘DOWN TO EARTH with ZAC EFRON’ but I really feel like I could be taking better care of myself. And that’s already considering all the things that I know make me feel crappy if I eat them.
I’m also sharing this because I personally have found seeing other people’s numbers makes me realize how much body dysmorphia is real and how I have definitely looked in the mirror and not seen my true self. Numbers and the scale can be so misleading as well as a picture you see of someone on Instagram. I want to be upfront and honest about what I weigh because I hope it inspires others to remember that it is only a number. It doesn’t equal the picture you see or the person in real life.
Here is my before pic.
Day 1, August 3rd
- Height: I’m just under 5’6″
- Weight: 154 lbs
- Body fat %: 28%
- Neck: 13.8″
- Above chest: 36.25″
- Chest: 37.1″
- Below chest: 33″
- Right arm: 12.1″
- Left arm: 12.1″
- Waist: 31.1″
- Wide waist: 36.25″
- Hips: 38.5″
- Right thigh: 22″
- Left thigh: 22.2″
- Right calf: 13.5″
- Left calf: 13.7″
MENTALMentally, this is all about finding balance between all my passions. Taking care of mind, body, and soul. Fueling my body with the right nutrients as well as the right positive vibes. Yoga will be a big contributor to my mental state. But I will also be taking 10 minutes a day to meditate. 10 minutes here and there can become very overwhelming… but if I can watch 2+ hours of TV a day, then I can spend 30 minutes on meditating, yoga, and stretching!
CREATIVELYCREATIVELY I want to do a lot. I want to Blog DAILY, Write DAILY, Post an actual infeed Picture on Instagram DAILY, Post one TikTok video DAILY, and Post one picture on my Photography Instagram account DAILY. It’s a lot to ask of myself… I know. But I believe I can to it. They won’t all be the best. But it’s not about perfection, it’s about developing my crafts and pushing myself in something I love. CREATING!
TOOLS I’LL BE USING:
I’m so excited to start this! Today is Day 1 of 90 days of magic. No F’s given. We’re all about growing inside and out! I can’t wait to see what we learn over the next 90 days!
Thank you for all your love and support!
Let’s do this!